Dogs Best Friend
Dog Behavioural & Training Blog/Tips
Last 5 entries
- Dog Behaviour. Dog Training. Your dog's fear seeming to come out of nowhere? Fear Impact Periods.
- Dog Training. Dog Behaviour. Dog's Nipping and Mouthing.
- Dog Behaviour. Dog Training. Dog Parks and Dog Off-Lead Area's
- Dog Behaviour. Dog Training. Dog Safety. Knowledge of dog behaviour for children.
- Dog Behaviour. Dog Training. The Christmas Rush!
- Leadership and Dominance in Dog Training
- Guy Fawkes and similar stressors for dogs
- Separation Anxiety
- 'Walking the Dog' and all associated...
- Dog 'Ownership' Helpful Tips
- Preventing 'Fixation'/'Obsession'
- With Cats...
- General Training
- 'Obedience' Type Command Instruction
- Safety Around Dogs
- A Good Dog Behavioural Consultant/Dog Behaviourist
- Entertainment for your dog
- The problem with gadgets in effective dog training
- Stress in Dogs
- Reactionary Behaviour
- Embarrassing antics our dogs get up to...
- 'Tis the Season'
- Visitors and your Dog
- Issues with Food
- Cars/Vehicles and your Dog
- Why does my dog?
Ask for ‘tricks’ to be performed at this ’stressful’ time. Shower your dog with praise and affection and some treats if the ‘trick’ is worthy when performed. The ‘trick’ is what you are praising for, not any reaction.
Recordings of fireworks/other ’scary’ noises can be played while your dog is doing something fun. I would recommend downloading the ‘Sound Proof Puppy App’ for pets off ITunes or Android. It has been developed by a vet nurse/trainer, with noises that typically can bring about a fear response and comes with detailed instructions for its use. You can reward relaxation/no/less response.
When using a super tasty treat, if your dog is not accepting this treat, he/she is too stressed and the intensity of the noise needs to be decreased.
This process is about weeks of training, amounting to about 10 minutes a day of time with your dog, Selina McIntyre, Dog Behavioural Consultant & Dog Trainer, Dogs Best Friend.
© Dogs Best Friend Limited 2021.
dog trainer operating in the Hamilton, Waikato and Tauranga area's of New Zealand
dog behaviourist / dog behaviour specialist