Dogs Best Friend
Dog Behavioural & Training Blog/Tips
- Leadership and Dominance in Dog Training
- Guy Fawkes and similar stressors for dogs
- Separation Anxiety
- 'Walking the Dog' and all associated...
- Dog 'Ownership' Helpful Tips
- Preventing 'Fixation'/'Obsession'
- With Cats...
- General Training
- 'Obedience' Type Command Instruction
- Safety Around Dogs
- A Good Dog Behavioural Consultant/Dog Behaviourist
- Entertainment for your dog
- The problem with gadgets in effective dog training
- Stress in Dogs
- Reactionary Behaviour
- Embarrassing antics our dogs get up to...
- 'Tis the Season'
- Visitors and your Dog
- Cars/Vehicles and your Dog
- Why does my dog?
- Dogs Taking/Collecting Items
The super useful ‘Leave’
This can be used for stopping your dog picking up objects or around cats… really anything you want your dog to move away from (Trev, one of our dogs, is always using his nose and not always finding the most acceptable things for us humans).
Keep hold of an especially favorable treat (or super interesting toy that you could be squeaking!!) in your hand and wait for your dog to lose interest - which they will eventually. The instant your dog has turned to goes away, exclaim “Leave!” and offer the object.
Repeat at least ten times.
Selina McIntyre, Dog Behavioural Consultant & Dog Trainer, Dogs Best Friend.
© Dogs Best Friend Limited 2020.
dog trainer operating in the Hamilton, Waikato and Tauranga area's of New Zealand
dog behaviourist / dog behaviour specialist